If you are a beginner at pastry-making, then it might seem like an intensive and slow procedure. But that is the real joy of trying your hands at making pastries at home. Of course, what goes into a pastry recipe always matters. You should forever remain bent on getting the right quality ingredients. Also, always try using unsalted organic butter while avoiding margarine altogether. Make sure that you are using unbleached flour. As far as the milk and the eggs are concerned, try going organic. It is also good to use sea salt for pastry-making since the small grains mix into the dough properly.
Making The Perfect Pastry
Once you are done with the process of gathering all the essential ingredients, it is time for you to decide on one recipe out of the thousands of recipes available for pastry-making. This will entirely depend on the results that you are trying to achieve. Nevertheless, if you have long been in the look out of a simple pastry recipe, then this would be fine for you. The flaky, easy, and perfect pastry is ready in seconds!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- All-purpose flour: 4 cups
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Cold shortening: 1 cup
- Egg: 1
- Water: ½ cup
- Unsalted butter: ¾ cup
- Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Take a large container and whisk the sugar, flour, and salt together. Grate the cold shortening and butter. Toss them into the flour blend until everything is coated evenly. Make sure that the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Now take a small container and whisk egg, vinegar, and water together.
- Next, pour this blend into the flour mixture and lightly toss everything till you get an evenly moistened product.
- Now separate the dough into four equal pieces while patting each piece flat.
- Wrap the dough disks in plastic wraps and freeze for one hour before using.
Some Useful Tips
As has already been pointed out, high-quality ingredients like fresh and organic eggs, unsalted butter and vanilla extract will work fine for your recipe. Avoid using synthetic vanilla essence as it will not provide desired results. However, there are other essential and useful tips that you should keep in mind when trying your hand at a pastry recipe.
- Always try working quickly on cold surfaces like marble. Resting the pastry twice in the refrigerator and both pre and post-shaping helps in preventing shrinkage while cooking. The pastry should be refrigerated overnight or for some hours.
- Avoid over-working it, or else it might get crumbly and thick.
- The surface used for rolling the cake should be lightly floured so that it keeps moving. Also, ensure that the pastry is rolled away from your body.
- It would be a good idea for you to make four or five times the quantity that you require. This is because well-prepared pastry freezes very nicely and can be used on rainy days.
Homemade pastries are easy to master, and they taste better than the ones bought from stores. They are used as a base for different varieties of sweet delicacies starting from chocolate and lemon tarts to frangipanes.