If you are wondering how to make pie pastry and you think that it is impossible then sorry, but you are on the wrong side of facts. The reality is that it is always a possibility to make your very own pie pastry at home. Yes, it is not that difficult once you get an idea about it. The result will definitely be better than the regular frozen pie crusts found at the stores. There are several ways of making a pie crust. Different bakers have their own favorite trick or recipe in this category. However, it is important for you to know that a classic pie crust or pastry is made using butter. This can take a bit of practice because if you go wrong somewhere, the crust will end up hard. So, how do you go the easy and the simple way?
Easy And Perfect Pie Pastry Recipe
The more forgiving pie pastry is one that is made using a blend of shortening and butter. This will help you in getting the flavor of butter along with flakiness that comes from the use of shortening. Some people also use vegetable oil or lard in place of the butter and shortening mix. The perfect pie crust recipe that has been provided below uses minimal ingredients and a simple procedure that would not be tough for you to handle.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
- All-purpose flour: 2 ½ cups + extra for rolling
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 Tsp
- Unsalted butter: 8 ounces or 1 cup
- Ice water: six to eight tablespoons
You have the option of swapping ½ cup flour with almond flour or ground and blanched almonds.
- Mix salt, flour, and sugar.
- Now add butter in portions while pulsing the mix several times after every addition.
- Next put ice water. You need to sprinkle the blend with approximately ¼ cups of ice water while continuing to pulse. Keep adding the ice water until the dough starts holding together. You need to press the dough to examine if it has started to hold together or not. If it holds together, then the blend is ready. Be careful when adding water because if you add extra water, the dough can become tough.
- Now separate the dough blend into two equally-sized mounds. Knead the mounds properly but be careful not to over knead. Sprinkle the dough disks with little flour and wrap them in plastic wraps. Now refrigerate the disks for around one hour.
- Once out of the refrigerator, allow the dough disks to set so that it gets soften enough for rolling.
- Use a rolling pin for rolling out the dough. Place the rolled out dough on a pie plate and gently press it down in a way that it lines the sides and the bottom of the plate.
- Next, add the filling and then place the second rolled out dough disk on the filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 50 minutes.
You will have a delicious pie pastry ready to be savored and that too, without having to put in a lot of effort.